At Home Training
Joseph De Simone, founder of Canine Command, has been a longtime volunteer trainer and handler at Humane Societies in Pennsylvania and Southwest Florida. Mr. DeSimone previously served as an instructor for the Naples, Florida and Bensalem, Pennsylvania AKC Dog Clubs. Joe has worked with the staff at both the Gulf Coast & Naples Humane Societies to help their behaviorally challenged dogs become adoptable, obedient pets. Mr. De Simone has been a longtime advocate for shelter dogs and currently is the happy owner of three rescues- Daisy May a hound dog mix, Cleo a German pointer mix and Chico a Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix.
Why Train With Canine Command?
Training & Degrees
Education and experience matter when it comes to dog training! Joe is certified in Canine Behavior Evaluation, Obedience Training and Problem Solving from the Animal Behavior College where Victoria Stillwell of Animal Planet's " It's Me or the Dog" received her training. Animal Behavior College has trained many of the leading trainers in our profession.
Joe is also a member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers, the leading trainer education association in the United States, devoted to positive reinforcement/ LIMA best training practices, continuing education and animal advocacy. Joe is Certified American Kennel Club (AKC) Canine Good Citizenship Evaluator. Mr. De Simone is also Red Cross certified in canine first aid.
Mr. DeSimone regularly conducts seminars in Lee and Collier County teaching HOA residents how to be great communicators and leaders for their canine packs
Mr. De Simone obtained his Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry from Lafayette College. He went on to obtain a law degree from Antioch College.
He is frequently consulted as an expert in canine legal issues including bite injuries, adoption contracts and breeder/shelter liability.
Numerous local veterinarians trust and refer their clients to Canine Command for training including:
Estero Animal Hospital,
Shoppes of Estero Animal Hospital,
Mission Hills Veterinary Center,
The Animal Wellness Center, Bonita Veterinary Hospital & Clinic,
Naples Safari Animal Hospital,
North Naples Veterinary Hospital,
Old 41 Animal Hospital,
Angel Animal Hospital,
Hakim Hamaci, DVM,
Animal Oasis Veterinary Hospital,
All Creatures Animal Hospital,
White Sands Animal Clinic,
North Collier Animal Clinic,
Crossroads Veterinary Clinic,
West Coast Veterinary and Golden Gate Animal Clinic.
Code of Ethics
As a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT), Mr. De Simone's adheres to a Code of Professional Conduct and Responsibility including:
• Providing honest, professional services of the highest standards.
• Developing and applying training programs in line with the APDT’s mission of advocating dog-friendly training.
• Continuing professional development by reading relevant material; attending conferences, workshops and seminars; and pursuing other educational opportunities.
• Treating all dogs and clients with respect, taking into account their physical and psychological well-being and respecting clients’ wishes regarding the training of their dogs.
• Refraining from giving guarantees regarding the outcome of training, because there is no sure way to guarantee the cooperation and performance of all parties involved and because the knowledge of animal behavior is incomplete.
• Respecting the privacy of his clients and holding in confidence all information obtained in the course of professional services, unless otherwise agreed upon in advance.
• Incorporating what it means to be a responsible dog owner into training programs.
• Promoting the use of reward-based, LIMA training methods, thereby minimizing the use of aversives.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Soon Should I Start?
The American Veterinary Behavior Association recommends training can begin as soon as your dog is 8 weeks old. The earlier the training, the less likely it is the dog will have developed unwanted behaviors and habits which take longer to train away!
What Are Your Rates?
Canine Command charges a fraction of the cost of most trainers with 20+ years’ experience. We also provide student discounts. Canine Command trains quickly in convenient 4 to 5-hour training packages saving clients both time and money!
Can an Older Dog Benefit from Training?
Positive reinforcement training works with all dogs whether young or old. Canine command has trained dogs 12 years old and up!
Do You Take Aggression Cases?
Yes, we do. Aggression cases require a higher level of training, experience and expertise. Mr. DeSimone has successfully trained away aggression in a variety of shelter and client settings involving both dog on human and dog on dog situations.
Get Started Today
Don't wait. We'll quickly turn your dog into a Canine Good Citizen.